Saturday, July 27, 2013

The beginning...

Old Travel Trailer

How did this madness begin?

It started innocently enough, not long ago.  I got to thinking that tent camping is swell and all, but frankly, I'd rather not sleep on the ground anymore when we travel.  And now that Michael has a bum leg... well, you know how it is.  I think it's called AGE.

Heh.

Then I started thinking about what form our travel abode might take, and I immediately eliminated several possibilities.

When I was a kid, we had an Apache tent-trailer (followed later by a larger Jayco model).  Not bad, but just a bit too much like a tent for me.  Here's our Apache in Deer Lodge, Montana, on the way to Chicago.  I was nine on that trip.  The station wagon you see here was my high school ride - oh so cool!

Camping with the station wagon!

Teardrop trailers were the next to fall by the wayside.  While they do look cool, the fact they're basically just a bed with outdoor cooking facilities was not a big sell.  We want to be able to sit inside in bad weather and not have to be IN BED.  A few years ago we were in Zion during some really bad weather, and had to sit in the car until it was time to sleep (never mind it was October so it got dark really early).  That was pretty miserable, and I don't want to do that again.  We need a nice enclosed dry space to relax in, to read or eat or talk, and not have it seem like being in bed the whole time.


We also know that we don't want something too big.  No land yachts for us!  As long as it has a bed, a table, and a TOILET we'll be happy!  Affordability is a must, though we don't want to do major restorations ourselves.  Structurally sound, but ready for some modification.

And it has to look cool.  If we're going to do this, we want to have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment